I’ll make this post short because it’s only 3 days until Christmas Eve and we’ve all got those last minute gifts to get and wrapping to take care of!
Lately, I’ve had a thing for white chocolate. I don’t know why, but I’ve been craving it this entire holiday season. When I came across a recipe for white hot chocolate on the internet the other day, my eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning!
The only problem, white hot chocolate is heavy on the dairy, which neither my intestines nor I are very fond of. After all, there is no actual chocolate in “white chocolate”, only sugar and cream. And most hot chocolate recipes are made with milk and even more heavy cream. Ouch!
So…I decided to make a slightly healthier version of this warm and comforting drink using unsweetened coconut milk. But don’t worry, this hot chocolate has plenty of flavor without being overly sweet. You can even adjust how much white chocolate you add (and therefore sweetness) as you go along, which I really like. And of course, nothing artificial in this drink, so you can feel good about it.
It’s such a cozy and delicious way to warm up this holiday and winter season! So grab a mug (and a candy cane while you’re at it), cozy up by the fire, relax and enjoy!
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk ( I used So Delicious brand)
- 3-4 oz. (or more depending on your sweet tolerance)
- white chocolate chopped into pieces
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- coconut whipped cream or whipped cream of choice (dairy or non dairy)
- shredded coconut flakes
- white nonpareils sprinkles (optional)
- Heat milk and vanilla over medium heat in small saucepan.
- Once the milk is gently simmering, stir in the white chocolate until it's melted and blended.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream, coconut flakes and sprinkles.