I get into breakfast ruts all the time. Do you? I’m not the kind of person who can eat the same thing day after day. I need to mix things up. Above all, I don’t want breakfast to take a lot of time or energy, not during the week anyway.
By now, I’m sure you’ve all tried or at least heard of the concept of overnight oats. I’m a huge fan! Pop oats in a jar with some milk, let sit overnight and voilà, breakfast! The oats soak up the liquid, become creamy and by morning your breakfast is ready! No cooking, no fuss.
Just as there are endless options for warm stove top oatmeal, there are endless option for your overnight oats as well. Here’s how I like to break it down:
- what kind of milk would you prefer? regular milk, nut milk, coconut milk, rice or soy milk, etc…
- what type of fruit do you have handy? fresh or frozen works well.
- what kind of protein (if any) would you like to add? almond butter, peanut butter or yogurt for example.
- what sort of healthy toppings will compliment the oats? granola, coconut flakes, chia seeds, flax seeds, nuts, dried fruit or all of the above
For these oats I used coconut milk and organic frozen berries. They’re just more economical in winter and many of us already have them in the freezer. Let them sit in a bowl on the counter to defrost or place them in the jar with the oatmeal overnight. Either way, you’ll have some delicious berry juice that will flavor the oats. I also use a touch of maple syrup (but you don’t have to). Sometimes frozen berries can be a bit tart. I top the oats with some greek yogurt and coconut flakes. Easy, healthy and definitely not boring! That’s a win in my book.
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (like So Delicious brand)
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional/adjust to your liking)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened greek yogurt
- In a small to medium jar (about 16 oz.) combine ½ cup oats with ½ cup milk, maple syrup and stir.
- Top with the yogurt then berries and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, add coconut flakes or additional toppings.