Not sure about the weather where you are, but here in NJ we’ve got some spring happening! It probably won’t last long, so I’m going to keep this post short and sweet. I’ve made plans for the next 48 hours that involve serious dog walking, vitamin D boosting and this gorgeous little salad.
It’s truly amazing how a little warmth and sunshine can lift the spirits and change your mood entirely. I can say the same thing about this chickpea salad. Aren’t the colors so reminiscent of spring?
I love this salad because it’s so incredibly simple, yet it has such terrific flavor. You’ve got the creaminess of the feta and chickpeas plus a terrific bite and crunch from the fresh veggies. It holds up well for a few days. In fact, the longer it sits, the more flavors the chickpeas absorb. Red onions work really nicely in this salad. But, because red onions and I don’t exactly have the best relationship, I’ve omitted them and subbed in a little garlic.
Pair the salad with some whole wheat pita bread for a delicious and satisfying lunch. Skip the take out, get outside and enjoy this beautiful weather! But wait… don’t forget to take the salad with you! Now hurry, go!
- 1 15 oz carton chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 red, orange or green pepper (I like to mix different colors and save any leftovers in a ziplock bag)
- 2-3 radishes (sliced)
- ½ red onion (chopped) and/or 1 small clove of garlic (minced)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- about 2 oz feta cheese crumbled (I prefer sheep's milk feta)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- large handful of parsley (chopped)
- generous pinch of coarse salt and pepper
- Put all ingredients except the feta into a medium sized bowl.
- Toss the salad to combine well.
- Top with crumbled feta.
- Store in a tupperware container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.