By now, I’m guessing many of you have your Thanksgiving Day menu planned out. Well hold on a second, because this farro salad may well be a game changer!
Before I get to the recipe, let me introduce you to farro.
Typically grown in Italy and dating back to ancient Roman times, this nutrient dense whole grain is derived from wheat. High in protein and fiber, farro is an excellent alternative to cooking with regular old pasta and rice. It’s got a very pleasant nutty taste and slightly chewy texture that works really well in salads and vegetable dishes.
I typically like the the quick cooking variety, since it’s done in 10 minutes. Just like pasta, you can cook it a bit more or less depending on how soft you’d you like the grains to be.
As always, I make this salad easy by buying precooked beets. Love Beets brand is my favorite. For this recipe I bought the plain unmarinated beets because I wanted to be in charge of the flavors in the salad (although the mild vinegar ones could work in a pinch). Originally, I was going to combine the farro with just the beets until I realized I had a bag of precut and prewashed shredded Brussels sprouts in the fridge that I didn’t want to go to waste. I roasted them in my toaster oven with just a touch of olive oil and they came out crisp and delicious (and they almost didn’t make it to the salad)!
By the time I was done chopping the beets, roasting the Brussels sprouts and making the apple cider and chive dressing, the farro was ready.
Oh!!! Did I not mention THE DRESSING?!! It’s simple…
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar,
1 tbsp honey,
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
a generous amount of chopped chives (about 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper to taste,
whisk and done.
This slightly sweet and tangy dressing gets perfectly absorbed by the grains and veggies. I top the whole thing off with some crushed pistachios! It’s not only delicious, but it makes for an insanely gorgeous presentation!
If this doesn’t end up on your Thanksgiving table, then I think at least it will become one of your favorite new fall salads!
*If making for a larger group, I’d suggest at least doubling the recipe below.
- 1 cup quick cooking farro
- 2¼ cups water
- 2 precooked beets cut into 1 inch cubes (see above)
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- coarse salt
- apple cider chive dressing (see instructions and ingredients above)
- ⅓ cup crushed pistachios
- chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine the farro and water in a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 min (2-3 min more if you'd prefer a softer grain, as I do, making sure there is still a small amount of water in the pot if cooking longer).
- While farro is cooking make the dressing.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with some olive oil, salt and pepper and cook until crispy, brown and tender about 8-10 min.
- Once farro is done, cover and let sit for about 3-5 min.
- Drain the farro of any remaining water and place in a serving bowl.
- Add the beets, Brussels sprouts and toss with the dressing and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Top with pistachios and some more of the chives.