Lemon. Poppy seed. Fruit.
I know what you’re thinking, these should’ve been scones.
But, since I can’t find the time to cook healthy meals AND bake at this stage of my life, I went with the next best thing…ricotta toasts! And they take only a few minutes to put together!
Whoever came up with the idea of putting ricotta on toast is brilliant! I’m not a huge fan of ricotta in general, but let me tell you I absolutely love these for breakfast!
They’re both healthy and satisfying and you can tailor them to you’re liking using any fruit you may have on hand. The lemon poppy seed combination is so delicious and when drizzled with some sweet honey you will just fall in love.
Did you know poppy seeds are full of fiber and healthy vitamins and minerals including calcium? So, don’t be afraid to generously sprinkle them on!
Fresh, whole grain bread is the key to making these toasts a delicious and healthy addition to your breakfast or snack routine. And with Mother’s Day just around the corner I can’t think of an easier, prettier or more perfect breakfast treat than this!
On that note…
I’d like to wish all the moms out there, who work tirelessly and selflessly each and every day, a beautiful and happy Mother’s Day! There is no job on the planet more difficult, more important or more rewarding. Enjoy your special day!
- ¾- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (part skim if you prefer that) left out at room temp for about 10 minutes to take out the cold chill
- sliced fruit such as figs, strawberries or berries such as blueberries, blackberries
- 4 slices fresh whole grain bread (such as rye, wheat, pumpernickel)
- poppy seeds (don't be shy)
- zest of one large lemon (or 2 small)
- Toast bread.
- While bread is toasting add the lemon zest to the ricotta and gently combine.
- Top toasts with ricotta and fruit.
- Generously sprinkle on the poppyseed and drizzle with honey.