Can it be?! Is Memorial Day Weekend really upon us?
Thinking back to March, when the stay-at-home orders were first initiated here in NJ, it was hard to even imagine that we’d ever get this far. It was even harder to imagine what a summer would be like under these circumstances. And now here we are, with businesses awaiting reopening and our hearts aching to be together, we still face so much uncertainty, especially about how we’ll be spending these precious summer days.
One thing I am certain about is that the warm sunny days ahead will likely include many types of bright, colorful dishes like this Mango, Corn and Black Bean Salad!
I remember making a big bowl for a BBQ I hosted last year. Well, let me just say, there were tortilla chips flying and beans bouncing everywhere on the table, as my guests devoured the entire bowl within minutes of arriving. So, I scribbled down the recipe that night in hopes of sharing it with you one day. That day is TODAY!
I love recipes that are super easy to put together, especially when I am running around like a lunatic a few hours before hosting a bunch of people at my house. Even though this weekend might be a little different in terms of who we’ll be sharing meals with, I fully intend to be making a big batch to enjoy again.
All that’s involved is opening up a can of beans, shucking some fresh corn and chopping up some vegetables. I squirt a generous amount of lime juice which adds a fresh, citrusy punch that really brings out the flavors of the beans and veggies. Scallions bring in an additional layer of oniony goodness (you could also use red onions). And what black bean salad would be complete without a creamy, perfectly ripe avocado?
But, the juicy MANGOES! They’re the star in my opinion. Or, maybe it’s the sweet corn. You know what? I can’t decide. But just about every bite of this salad makes me want to jump up and down (yes, I get that excited about food).
Are you drooling yet?
Enjoy your weekend everyone! xo Donna
Tip: For a larger group, double the recipe below.
Did you make this recipe? Let me see your photos! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 mango (cut into cubes)
- 1 ear of corn (shucked and sliced off the cob)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- large handful of grape or cherry tomatoes (sliced and halved- I prefer colorful heirloom tomatoes)
- 1 scallion (white and green parts thinly sliced)
- 1 ripe avocado (pitted and cut into cubes)
- juice of 1-2 limes (depending on how juicy they are)
- fresh bunch of cilantro (roughly chopped)
- generous pinch of sea salt or pink himalayan salt
- Combine all ingredients together with the lime juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Toss and let sit for about half hour at room temperature.
- Add the fresh cilantro.
- Season to taste with additional salt, pepper and/or lime juice.
- Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.