If there is one thing that cures the end of summer blues, it’s the heirloom tomato! Perfectly in season, juicy and plump, there isn’t one day that goes by from August until September that I don’t have one of these tomatoes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This Labor Day weekend I put together a recipe that is both elegant, simple and delicious enough to serve at a party or enjoy as part of a weeknight meal. If you’ve got beautifully plump tomatoes overflowing in your garden or stocked up high at your favorite market, grab a bunch and get to this recipe asap! You’ll be so glad you did!
- 4-5 heirloom tomatoes
- ¼ cup pitted sliced olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2-3 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- basil leaves
- freshly ground pepper
- Slice tomatoes and arrange on a plate or platter.
- Top with olives, capers then goat cheese and some freshly ground pepper.
- Add basil leaves.
- Drizzle platter with olive oil and serve.