Many years ago, when I was just married and learning how to cook, I enjoyed watching the Food Network. I clearly remember watching Martha Stewart one day. I can’t remember the recipe she was making, but I can remember what she said while she was stirring up her magic. She said, “if you don’t have 20 minutes to make a fresh and healthy meal for your family, then something is seriously wrong.” I laughed a little, because she has a way of making certain things seem so simple. Sometimes it’s good to have someone just say it like it is.
How true is it that people find the time for just about everything, but when it comes to one of our most basic needs, eating, we feel we can leave that job to someone else (i.e. fast food, take out and restaurants)? I think the health statistics in America (childhood obesity, diabetes, hypertension) most definitely prove we need to get back in the kitchen again. We need to find the time.
That leads me to this week’s post.
This Mexican Cauliflower Rice Skillet is ready in 20 minutes, with one pan and takes little to no cooking skills (with the exception of chopping some vegetables). Get the kids in the kitchen to help! This is a great basic meal to learn because it can be made so many other ways (with different rice, quinoa, meat, or with different veggies).
I used frozen cauliflower rice because I usually have that in my freezer, but fresh works too. The vegetables, rice and beans are simply simmered for just 10-15 minutes in fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic and chili powder.
And the best part is the toppings! Avocado, sour cream, lime juice and you can even add in some greens or herbs like cilantro. I used micro-beet greens for garnish. Go ahead and make it your own! You’ll be glad you found the time!
- 12 oz bag frozen (or fresh) cauliflower rice
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (drain half of the juice if you are using frozen cauliflower rice)*
- 8 oz. black beans
- one lime
- sour cream (vegan if desired)
- one avocado sliced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- Heat oil in a medium size skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers and onions and a good pinch of salt and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chili powder and garlic and saute another 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice (chopping up any large frozen chunks), tomatoes and juice*, beans and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer (uncovered) for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and top with avocado, sour cream, lime juice.
- Serve with corn tortillas or chips.