Happy 4th of July weekend!
Believe it or not, it’s my favorite holiday.
I think that’s because I have such fond memories from my childhood. My cousins and I would all be crammed into our tiny little pool. We would anxiously await the fireworks display that my dad and uncles would put on in the street, as we drew shapes in the air with our sparklers (haha!!)
Granted this year will be different, but I’m still looking forward to a safely distanced celebration with family.
Here’s a quick and easy all natural popcorn recipe featuring those red, white and blue colors of the 4th!
The trick is using freeze dried blueberries and strawberries and pulverizing them in a food processor. I make it a little sweet by adding in some confectioners sugar to regular store bought popcorn. All that’s left to do is sprinkle the dried fruit powder on top of the popcorn, right before serving.
I also like to add in some whole pieces of dried fruit for extra color and flavor. It will be a hit with adults and kids alike!
Popcorn and dried fruit don’t do well in the heat and humidity, so make sure to keep the popcorn indoors in a cool and dry place until ready to serve.
- 5 oz. your favorite brand of lightly salted popcorn
- 1.2 oz bag of freeze dried blueberries (save a small handful of of fruit before pulverizing to add on at the end)
- 1.2 oz bag of freeze dried strawberries (save a small handful of fruit before pulverizing to add on at the end)
- optional 1 tbsp confectioners sugar
- olive oil spray
- In a food processor, pulse the blueberries and sugar until it becomes a powder form.
- Scrape out the blueberry powder and place in a small bowl.
- Wipe down the food processor with a dry cloth. *do not rinse!
- Repeat the same process with the strawberries.
- Divide the popcorn up into separate bowls and spray lightly with olive oil.
- With a small fine mesh strainer, sprinkle each of the powders over top, coating the popcorn.
- (*for the white popcorn, just simply add dried fruit pieces)
- Top with the leftover dried fruit pieces.
- Serve immediately.