I’m not even sure I need to write much about this post. The pictures speak for themselves.
What I will say, is that the flavor combinations in this recipe will perk up even the most dreary winter day! I was in Maine this summer and I stumbled into the cutest little gourmet specialty store (Eventide Specialties) where I picked up some deliciously flavored vinegars that I use in salads or on vegetables. For this recipe, I chose a Black Mission Fig vinegar that I had bought, to flavor the greens (talk about de-li-cious!!). I also roasted the tomatoes and asparagus which added a rich, caramelized sweetness. It will take all your restraint not to devour the veggies before you even get them onto your pizza!
Ok…enough talking. Here’s the recipe:
Roasted Asparagus & Tomato Flatbread Pizza
- 4 whole wheat flatbreads or naan
- 1/2 cup whole milk or part- skim ricotta cheese (whichever you prefer)
- 1 bunch asparagus (washed and sliced into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (washed and left whole)
- 1 pre-washed bag mixed greens ( I used a mix of baby lettuce, spinach and chards)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar (or flavored vinegar of your choosing, such as mission fig)
- kosher salt
Preheat oven to 425 °F. Set flatbreads or naan onto large baking sheet. While oven is heating, prepare vegetables and place onto another large baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss with your fingers to combine. Roast vegetables for about 8 min until asparagus are slightly golden and tomatoes begin to shrivel. Cook flatbreads or naan until warmed and slightly browned (about 5 min). In meantime, in a large bowl, add vinegar and a bit of olive oil to the greens along with the roasted asparagus/ tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to combine. Remove breads from oven. Spread on ricotta mixture and top with the greens and veggies.