The holidays are here. I really can’t believe it! And because everyone is busy making plans and gathering recipes for next week, I wanted to share with you this quick, tasty and festive dish that you and your guests will love!
Beets are rustic and earthy, not to mention gorgeous (do I even have to mention the health benefits?). The roasting process transforms them and they develop a warm, sweet carmelized flavor that makes them almost addictive. The simple addition of pistachios and chives provides a nutty, garlicky flavor and some texture. Best of all, they require only 4 simple ingredients and absolutely no fuss. They can be roasted the day before to save you time and oven space, and then reheated. I like to serve the beets right from my dutch oven so no need for extra dishes!
So, let’s get to it and bring on the holidays! Cheers everyone!
Tips for Preparation:
- Wash beets thoroughly as you would a potato. Cut off the greens and stems but keep the skins on! They are edible and make for a rustic and appetizing presentation. I roast the beets whole and slice them open afterwards.
- If roasting the day before, do not add the nuts or chives until you are ready to serve. Simply roast, cool, then refrigerate.
- Try to pick beets that are roughly the same size so they cook at about the same time.
*This post is part of a collaboration between The Hanging Spoon and JamieOliver.com in conjunction with Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution (10 Meals That Could Save Your Life).
- 2 bunches beets (I like to mix gold with red) about 6-8 altogether
- ⅓ cup pistachios (crushed)
- 1 bunch chives (roughly chopped)
- *sour cream (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil
- course salt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- After preparing beets (see tips for preparation), lightly salt and oil the skin of the beets and place in a dutch oven or roasting pan with a lid.
- Roast beets for about an 1 hour to 1hour and 15 min. until fork tender (times may vary depending on size of beets).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice the beets in half.
- Add pistachios and chives.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil over top, sour cream* and salt/pepper to taste.