Stop right there! I know what you’re thinking. You’ve read the title of this post and thought…it’s such a pain to make rice, not to mention lentils, so forget this!
But guess what?!
You won’t have to go crazy thanks to those amazing little rice packets that you simply pop in the microwave for 90 seconds and you are DONE!
I don’t know how long they’ve been around, but I’ve only recently discovered them this winter and let me tell you they are a total game changer when it comes to throwing together quick and healthy vegetarian meals. Do you know the ones I’m talking about? You can find them right in the rice section of most supermarkets. Whole Foods 365 ° makes a delicious brown rice, spelt and lentil packet that I used for this recipe. It’s so easy that I often use them when I want something quick for lunch. And that’s exactly how this recipe was born.
It’s June so obviously I’m obsessed with STRAWBERRIES! They’re tasting so delicious and sweet right now I’ve been adding them to just about everything like oatmeal, muffins and of course in my salads!
For this salad I used spinach, but I imagine it would taste delicious with most greens. And, if you can’t find the brown rice, spelt, lentil combo feel free to use any type of grain like quinoa or just brown rice. I tossed the spinach and strawberries with the warm rice, spelt and lentil mixture. Then topped it with some feta, almonds and a delicious, mustardy, honey-cider dressing.
What I love about this salad is that not only is it easy to make and so summery, but it’s packed with such nutritional goodness. I think you guys are going to love it!
(This post was not sponsored. All opinions are my own.)
- 3-4 cups (packed) organic baby spinach
- about 10-12 strawberries or more (cut in half or quartered)
- 8 oz brown rice, spelt, lentil packet
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch coarse salt and pepper
- Cook the rice packet according to instructions and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl add in the spinach, strawberries, rice/lentils and almonds.
- Whisk together the cider, mustard, honey, salt, pepper and olive oil in a separate small bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to combine.
- Top with feta cheese.